If you have a soft spot for art and you’re visiting the Southeastern Spine Institute for a checkup or procedure, take a day to explore downtown Charleston. The Holy City has artists who can dazzle you. They’ll make you want to bring something home with you.
You can start with the Charleston Art Gallery Association, which links many art galleries. Discover various styles and mediums and even find out about new artists by attending scheduled events. The Association features talks, exhibits and openings for Charleston art lovers. Check the schedule before your visit!
7 Galleries Worth Visiting
Below is a short list of Charleston art galleries. You’ll find more to see around these establishments.
- Ann Long Fine Art. Founded around the turn of the century, Ann Long Fine Art showcases paintings of portraits, still life, landscapes and abstract figures that are museum quality. Ann Long Merck, the founder, loves to find contemporary artists who seek perfection in their medium. In this local gallery, you’ll discover art by living artists who produce traditional art and represent considerable authority in realism.
- The City Gallery at Waterfront Park. Owned and operated by the City of Charleston, the City Gallery at Waterfront Park has contemporary artwork by artists from nearby towns, but it also features national artists and global specialists. Admission to the exhibitions is free, and there’s lots to see. Since it’s right on the waterfront, this gallery represents a perfect spot to stop and cool off during the summer while you’re strolling.
- Corrigan Gallery. For craftsmanship that displays “the soul of old Charleston art with a contemporary edge,” head to the Corrigan Gallery. Its showcased pieces are from artists with strong ties to the city. All are contemporary and some focus on Southern symbolism. You’ll discover both authentic and abstract pieces here, all beautiful examples of Art with a capital A.
- George Gallery. The George Gallery in Charleston displays present-day American works for serious collectors. But whether you’re buying or browsing, this gallery offers art counseling and gorgeous works.
- Mary Martin Gallery of Fine Art. The Mary Martin Gallery of Fine Art has been named one of the best 25 art exhibitions in America by the American Art Awards, which also called it the best gallery in South Carolina in 2016. With two locations in Charleston, this gallery has plenty of room for Charleston art that crosses all styles and mediums.
- Principle Gallery. The Principle Gallery exhibits works delegated both old-style and contemporary authenticity. Since 1994, they’ve pleased Charleston art devotees and displayed showpieces in a spacious gallery.
- The Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art. The Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art at the College of Charleston School of the Arts is a nest for creativity. They also have a reference library open for the general public. You can’t really know what you’ll discover in their mixed assortment, and that’s the charm.
Charleston is a hub for artists and crowds who appreciate art. If you’re planning a trip to Charleston, come and enjoy the local and regional art gems produced by talented hands. Just remember to contact the galleries before you arrive to check on openings and schedules.
Schedule On-Line Virtual Exam Now