Due to its crucial function in keeping you moving and flexible, your spine is vulnerable to injury and disease, which cause discomfort and pain. Your problems can worsen if you don’t have them treated by an experienced spine physician. You may develop chronic back pain, which is debilitating and a major cause of disability.
When you’re going about your daily life, there are many things you do without thinking that pose a risk to your spinal health. Learning how to follow healthy back activities ensures your body functions optimally. So if you notice nagging back pain, talk to your medical doctor at the Southeastern Spine Institute as soon as possible.
Keeping Your Back Healthy
Whatever your lifestyle, you need a healthy back to live and work comfortably. Here are some healthy back activitiesthat you should practice during daily activities:
- Stay active. People leading a sedentary lifestyle are at a greater risk of back problems. To maintain a healthy spine and back, add some physical activities into your life. For instance, try swimming, walking for exercise with or without your dog, biking, jogging, playing with the kids and other such activities. When at work, take breaks, stretch and walk around the office every hour. A short break relieves the pressure from your spinal cord.
- Learn ergonomics. Many jobs require you to sit for long hours at your desk. If you’re in one of these jobs, customize your work desk and chair to ensure you sit upright at all times. Add back support for your office chair to avoid slumping, as this ruins your back health.
- Stay hydrated. Medical doctors recommend drinking six glasses of water every day for your overall health. Water also helps boost your spinal health by maintaining joint fluidity and soft tissue elasticity. Loss of fluid in your spine causes problems that include herniated discs. Dehydration affects the overall performance of your body because it can cause pain and stiffness.
- Sleep tight. Sleeping is rejuvenating for both your body and your mind. After a tough day, your spine needs to relax, and lying down to sleep gives you the best chance to recharge. Use a firm or medium-firm mattress to keep your spine naturally aligned.
- Wear the right shoes. Your back works hard while your body is in motion. When walking, one of the best healthy back activities, you need ample support for your lower back. Choose a low, fitted shoe to keep your spine and body aligned.
- Eat right. For a healthy back, you need a diet that promotes strong bones. Choose foods high in calcium and vitamin D. A healthful diet includes milk, leafy greens, egg yolks, beef liver and fatty fish.
When to See a Spine Doctor
If you still experience back pain or discomfort even with these healthy back activities, it’s time to see a spine doctor at the Southeastern Spine Institute. At our Mt. Pleasant, SC medical facility, you’ll find everyone — and everything — you need to keep your back healthy and pain-free.
Qualified back specialists, including doctors, physical therapists and spine surgeons, give you advice on how to conduct healthy back activities. This back specialty practice uses the latest medical technology to diagnose and treat a wide range of spinal cord and soft tissue problems. Contact the institute today to schedule an in-person or virtual exam.